Sunday, July 3, 2016

Got Milk?

Who out there remembers the Milkman?

Leaving his delivery at your doorstep regardless of the weather conditions. Hell he used to give the mailman a run for his money with his grit. 

Your order form had better have been filled out correctly. 

And placed in the box.

Drinking milk from glass bottles was always the best. Yesterday I bought a gallon of raw milk down here in south Florida and man does it taste great. I also splurged for a pound of raw butter too. Raw dairy contains natural enzymes and maximum nutrition. It is also good for your gut flora and digestive tract. It was nice to squeeze in a non-alcoholic drink for a change. I just hope my liver did not go into panic mode. It is my belief that pasteurization kills off all of the natural goodness of any food product. Raw food as nature made it is the best. Like with any raw food there is always the risk of bacteria. To me the risks are worth the reward. For me I prefer having a glass of raw milk produced by grass fed cows from a reliable source. 

Or stick with the hormone and anti-biotic injected milk gas pumps from big Agra. I hope everyone gets to enjoy a glass of raw milk in their lifetime. 

Just a reminder to Generation Snowflake........

Pass on your chocolate milk.

Now where's my scotch?


taminator013 said...

I used to love when it was really cold outside and the milk would get slushy. That stuff tasted the best...............

Heathen said...

Grew up on a dairy farm with 4 siblings. We had a 400 gallon bulk tank and we drank unpasteurized milk daily. Usually went through at least2 gallons a day. Didn't harm any of us.

Dink Newcomb said...

I spent the first nine years of my life (one of four kids) during the 1940s-50s in poverty on a small old family farm on the southern coast of SC until my Ma, a Yankee from NYC, convinced my Daddy that working as a tractor mechanic by day and working the farm afterward (sometimes plowing by headlights) for the luxury of struggling to meet necessities, was unnecessary and we moved north for some prosperity where Daddy worked only THREE jobs daily (white privilege).
The old milk cow we had was a stubborn, wily specimen and would frequently escape confinement and head out to dine on the abundant cord grass growing in the high sulphur marsh mud. The milk, strained, refrigerated and served raw was often contaminated with the same rotten eggs odor/taste of the well water on the coast and sometimes nearly unusable. Alas, poor people DO NOT have the luxury of discarding food because it COULD taste better. 60 years later, I still remember that taste that my parents made us suck it up and consume-- I have genuine concern over when I was truly better off! In all truth, I assume that the low quantity of sulphur was in itself probably a beneficial addition to our diet and I have NEVER felt happier or more secure in my life.
I moved back to the farm when I got back from Viet Nam and seldom see anything in the cities that I need or even want although I am grateful for the excellent education I got on Long Island.

Pappy said...

Remembering in Philadelphia, milk delivered by horse and wagon in the 40s and 50s. Horses had rubber shoes so not to wake the people on the early mornings. In cold weather, the cream on top in the bottle sometimes freezing and coming out the top of the bottle. Getting a 10 cent piece of ice put in the "ice box" to keep the milk cold......those were the days !

Anonymous said...

My grandfather was a milkman for Hood near Boston. He was up at 4am everyday. People would give him the keys to their home so he could bring the milk inside. He was a quiet, decent, simple man who loved his family and his country. He's been gone for over 20 years and I still miss him. Because of his connection with Hood, we had home delivery of milk until they ended the service. My parents still have the old metal box outside their door.