Saturday, June 25, 2016

Bernie Worrell and The Chief Nose Wetter


The Chief Nose Wetter was sad to hear of the passing of Bernie Worrell. Old Bernie was a master keyboard player who performed with Parliament/Funkadelic and also the Talking Heads. I used to drink with Bernie at a central Jersey tavern for many years in the 80s and 90s. At the time Bernie was living in Plainfield NJ and loved to tip a few. He would enter the bar dressed like Superfly or Shaft not giving a fuck about anything. This tavern was full of local blue collar white boys drinking and carrying on. Bernie would just slide up into the bar not giving a fuck about race or color and join in with the locals. He was usually the only black man in the tavern but that did not phase him one bit. We would bust his balls about his choice of wardrobe while buying each other drinks and he would give it back. I would tell him how much Parliament/Funkadelic gave me a fucking headache and he would laugh it off. I also gave him the nickname of being the Jersey "Huggy Bear". I asked him when Starsky and Hutch were going to pull up to the bar in their 74 Ford Torino. He played keyboards on Burning Down the House by the Talking Heads.




R.I.P Bernie

I raise my glass to you Bernie for one final time!

And Parliament/Funkadelic still gives me a fucking headache.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/watch-bernie-worrell-and-govt-mule-rule-this-cortez-the-killer-in-1999/

Worth a look.

=T.W.=